The Bahamas after Hurricane Dorian
Status of Chartering Areas in the Bahamas as They Rebuild After Hurricane Dorian
- Bahamas Ministry of Tourism & Aviation
We have created this page to be your source for information regarding yachting, sailing and chartering in the Bahamas after Dorian, and we will chronicle the rebuilding of the islands.
Thankfully, most of the Bahamas chartering areas have been virtually untouched by Dorian so yachting and tourism can still flourish. Ultimately, by continuing to visit this pocket of paradise, the Bahamas will be up and running again in no time.
In preparation of Hurricane Dorian, yacht owners and managers moved their fleets down south to Nassau and surrounding areas, protecting hundreds of charter yachts from Dorian. Besides the obvious change in location, yachting is still available to go ahead. The Exumas offers some fantastic sailing, with some very popular destinations like Pig Beach and Pablo Escobar's sunken plane. Check out our Exumas itinerary here.
- Nassau - Lynden Pindling International Airport (LPIA)
- Exuma Airport (GGT)
- South Bimini Airport (BIM)
- North Eleuthera Airport (ELH)
- Long Island - Stella Maris Airport (SML)
- Long Island - Deadman's Cay Airport (LGI)
The map above shows the areas in the northern Bahamas affected by Dorian. Most of the Bahamas were thankfully not affected.
- Marsh harbor, which is one of the key bareboat starting points, is closed indefinitely
- Freeport marinas
Open for Chartering
Most of the southern islands of the Bahamas, including Nassau, Paradise Island, Eleuthera, and The Exumas, are virtually untouched and open for business.
Key attractions such as Atlantis Paradise Island and the Swimming Pigs are open and untouched.
- Crewed Catamarans in the Exumas
2 top crewed catamarans based in the Exumas. October 2019.
- M/Y SILVER LINING
It seems fitting that there should be a yacht called SILVER LINING in the Exumas ready for charter. Read Borker Cordy's description of the activities and yacht. October 2019.
- Hot spots in the Exumas
Has your charter changed from the Abacos to the Exumas? Read here to for the 'Must-Sees' of the Exumas! September 2019.
- Pigs in Paradise
An update on the beloved swimming pigs. September 2019.
- The effects of Hurricane Dorian
What is the current state of the Abacos? September 2019.
- How did Dorian start?
Written to understand the causes of Dorian and why she hovered over the Northern islands for so long. September 2019.
- How does Nassau and the Exumas look after Dorian?
Pictures. September 2019.
- Bahamas STRONG!
The Bahamas are in the prayers and hearts of Boatbookings team. September 2019.
- Exumas - one week sailing itinerary starting and ending in Nassau.
- Exumas - one week motor yacht itinerary starting and ending in Nassau.
- BVI - one week crewed catamaran itinerary starting and ending in Tortola.
- BVI - one week bareboat sailing itinerary starting and ending in Tortola.
- Caribbean, Guadeloupe - one week Guadeloupe sailing itinerary starting and ending in Pointe à Pitre.
- Caribbean, Antigua - one week sailing itinerary starting and ending in Jolly Harbour.
- Caribbean, St Martin - one week motor yacht itinerary starting and ending in St Martin.
- Belize - 8 day motor yacht itinerary starting and ending in Belize City.